Bookmark this page in your browser to check back for updates: http://prestonmn.org/streetproject/
Project: Street and utility improvements in various locations throughout Preston
Estimated Cost: $4 million
- March 11, 2021 – Bid Opening
- March 15, 2021 – City Council to select contractor
- May 2021 – Construction to start
- October 2021 – Major construction completed
- October 2021 – Assessment Hearing
- June 2022 – Final completion
- City will issue a bond to pay for the project costs
- Assessments for property owners will be payable over 10-15 years
Minnesota Veterans Homes will be located in Bemidji, Montevideo, and Preston
[ST. PAUL, MN] — Today, Governor Tim Walz announced that all three of Minnesota’s proposed new State Veterans Homes projects, to be located in Bemidji, Montevideo, and Preston, will receive federal funding this year. The U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) recently released the State Home Construction Grants Fiscal Year 2021 Conditional Approvals.
“As a veteran myself, I recognize the obligation we have as a state and a country to deliver on the benefits our veterans have earned,” said Governor Walz. “We are pleased to be able to expand our State Veterans Homes into three new communities to serve our elderly veterans living in all corners on the state.”
In 2018, the Minnesota Legislature allocated $33 million toward the cost of the projects. The funding plan is a combination of federal-granted (65 percent), state-bonded and community-provided monies (35 percent).
“We appreciate the Minnesota Legislature’s past support of our Veterans and these projects,” said Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) Commissioner Larry Herke. “The approval of federal funds will allow us to now move forward with construction. The planning and design process is nearly complete and now with this exciting news, those final touches can be made.”
The three new Minnesota Veterans Homes projects are slated to receive more than $80 million in federal VA funds. By June 30, MDVA will complete the Federal VA grant application process to obtain the funds.
MDVA leaders have worked closely with local elected officials and veterans’ stakeholders on the planning for the new Veterans Homes. The communities of Bemidji, Montevideo, and Preston have been very engaged in the process, donating land for the building sites and raising additional funds to support amenities for the new homes.
- In Bemidji, the proposed facility reflects a North Woods cabin design for the public spaces as well as the 72 residential units that are split into two sections, avoiding long institutional-feeling hallways.
- The Montevideo facility blends into the local prairie style environment with 72 residential units as well as a large community meeting room.
- In Preston, the facility will enjoy fantastic views from its hilltop location that includes 54 residential units.
Construction could begin as early as early fall 2021 with an anticipated 18-month construction schedule.
CITY OF PRESTON TOURISM is accepting applications for Visitor Center Attendants. Hours are for some weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays from May – October. Good knowledge of Preston and surrounding areas and customer service skills required. Applications can be picked up at the Preston City Hall Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Application deadline is February 19, 2021. Questions? Call Gabby at 507-765-2153 or email firstname.lastname@example.org