Built on a 15-acre blufftop surrounded by a stunning 200-year-old white oak forest, the Home will reflect its natural environment and offer a variety of welcoming exterior views, including a well-appointed, fenced-in courtyard and garden. Residents will be able to enjoy:
- Private bedrooms with private baths
- Three, 18-Resident “households” to create a connected, small community feeling.
- A Town Center featuring a coffee shop/café, theatre/community room, dining room, game room, meditation room/chapel, club room for entertaining family and friends, and other communal spaces.
- A schedule that fits their life! Our teams will develop a care plan that is person-centered to best meet their needs.
- Ongoing community involvement through activities and events
Resident applications will be accepted starting September 15, 2022 at 8 a.m. The application form is available on the MDVA admissions information page. The form can also be obtained from a County Veterans Service Officer or upon request via email or U.S. Mail by contacting MDVA at NewHomesAdmissions@state.mn.us.
Eligible Residents come from two categories:
- Eligible Veterans
- Spouses of eligible Veterans
Careers with the Future Minnesota Veterans Homes
Staffing is a very important part of the future Veteran Homes planning process. The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) is working closely with each community to identify education and employment resources that will help provide sustainable staffing solutions for each home.
MDVA wants to make sure that everyone has an equal opportunity to join their diverse team. They actively recruit, welcome and support a workforce, which is diverse and inclusive of people who are underrepresented, so that we can support all Veterans who call Minnesota home.
Continue to watch the Minnesota Careers website for job opportunities at the new Minnesota Veterans Home – Preston, including job postings for our leadership and other types of positions. Please sign up to receive employment updates at the future Preston Veterans Home.
For more information about current employment opportunities at existing State Veterans Homes and MDVA, please visit the Work for MDVA page.
The MN Veterans Home – Preston is under construction and ready to open in late Fall. This beautifully designed facility will be a great home for our Residents – and your donation will further enhance the environment and ensure the opening occurs with great success. General Donations made to the Minnesota Veterans Home – Preston will ensure that the opening of the home offers a warm, friendly and aesthetically pleasing environment for our new Residents. Donations will fund items such as televisions in resident rooms, benches and chairs for outdoor seating, recreational activity supplies and equipment, personal care items for Residents, and other personal needs that will enhance a Resident’s stay. General Donations will further enhance the appearance of facilities, grounds, or operations and offer additional amenities that ensure Residents and families can fully enjoy the new facility.
Stay up to date on the progress of the veterans home:
- August 16, 2021 Veterans home groundbreaking celebration
- March 30, 2021 Governor Walz Announces Federal Funding for Three New Minnesota Veterans Homes
- June 10, 2019 – Planning continues for proposed Veterans Home
- September 27, 2018 – Future Preston Veterans Home gets community support
- July 20, 2018 – Fundraising campaign approved for veterans home
- May 30, 2018 – Mark Dayton Signs Public Works Bonding Bill
- May 10, 2018 – Senate unveils Bonding Bill
- April 12, 2018 – Commissioners put support behind Preston site for possible Veterans Home
- April 9, 2018 – Preston commits cash contribution for veterans home
- February 13, 2018 – Making the Case for Fillmore County Veterans Home
- February 12, 2018 – State Senators travel to Fillmore County to consider new Veterans Home
- November 6, 2017 – Economic impact of veterans home in Fillmore County | Fillmore County Journal
- September 15, 2017 – Wanted: A state veterans home in Fillmore County | Post Bulletin
- August 21, 2017 – Congressman Walz’s staff visits proposed veteran home sites | Fillmore County Journal
- August 16, 2017 – Local Veterans Look for Funding For Vets Home In Preston | ABC 6 NEWS