How you can contribute to the building of the Preston veterans home!
The Preston Veterans Home will be a skilled nursing care facility with up to 72-beds and will be the first and only in Southeastern Minnesota. The cost of the facility will be $30+ million. The design firm, Wold, is working with local residents from the Veterans Home Committee to design the Veterans Home.
The independent demand study shows if built today, 224 Veterans would reside in the Veterans Home. In 2040 that need will continue and the projected need is for 111 Veteran’s beds. 42,323 Veterans live within the 15 county catchment area of the Veterans Home. Our Veterans earned the right, through service to our County, to be cared for at the future Veterans Home.
The State contribution of $10.2M, the local donations of $1,065,000 that were donated by September 28, 2018, along with a Federal match of $22,530,000, dictate the size and amenities of the new facility.
The current fundraising drive is above the local City and County commitment. In order to receive a 2 to 1 federal match and build to the needs of the catchment area we continue to raise additional funds. Donations pledged and received after September 30, 2018 will still receive the Federal 2:1 match if received by February 28, 2019. Donations continue to be accepted, but will not be considered for the overall size of the Home. In-kind donation will also be considered by the MDVA.
Please see the donation card below if you would like to donate and if you have any further questions you can reach out to Joe Hoffman, Preston City Administrator, at 507-765-2153.
Most veterans left their communities behind to serve their country.
Having veteran homes in Greater Minnesota ensures our veterans don’t again need to leave their communities to get the care they deserve.
Stay up to date on the progress of the veterans home:
- September 27, 2018 – Future Preston Veterans Home gets community support
- July 20, 2018 – Fundraising campaign approved for veterans home
- May 30, 2018 – Mark Dayton Signs Public Works Bonding Bill
- May 10, 2018 – Senate unveils Bonding Bill
- April 12, 2018 – Commissioners put support behind Preston site for possible Veterans Home
- April 9, 2018 – Preston commits cash contribution for veterans home
- February 13, 2018 – Making the Case for Fillmore County Veterans Home
- February 12, 2018 – State Senators travel to Fillmore County to consider new Veterans Home
- November 6, 2017 – Economic impact of veterans home in Fillmore County | Fillmore County Journal
- September 15, 2017 – Wanted: A state veterans home in Fillmore County | Post Bulletin
- August 21, 2017 – Congressman Walz’s staff visits proposed veteran home sites | Fillmore County Journal
- August 16, 2017 – Local Veterans Look for Funding For Vets Home In Preston | ABC 6 NEWS
Download and print the Pledge Card to send in your donation.