Preston was founded by John Kaercher in 1853. The location was desirable as the Root River afforded opportunities for Kaercher to establish his flour mills along the river. The area offered abundant supplies of timber, water power, stonework, and railway service. Preston is named after the town’s first postmaster, Luther Preston, a good friend and employee of Mr. Kaercher.
Today Preston, the Fillmore County Seat, is a friendly community of 1,350 located in the Root River Valley. Preston offers a peaceful, small town atmosphere close to many interesting and recreational activities in southeast Minnesota’s Historic Bluff Country.
Located in the “Driftless Region” of the state, the Preston area was untouched by glaciers and is now a mecca of karst geology, hardwood forests, abundant wildlife, and numerous springs, brooks, and streams.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,325 people, 603 households, and 361 families residing in the city.